Our school considers gifted education to be an integral part of the class programme and we have numerous avenues to provide such opportunities to our students, including:
- Enrichment teaching and learning being integrated into all our class programmes to allow students to participate in thinking skills programmes which help to develop higher order thinking. Extension work in numeracy and literacy is provided by classroom teachers where appropriate.
- An enrichment class in Year 7 and Year 8 for our gifted learners which utilises differentiated teaching and learning opportunities to cater for the needs of these students. Selection for these classes is determined by a number factors including Year 6 teacher recommendation, Year 6 assessment results and BIS assessment results.
- Extension programmes in science, languages, the arts and technology.
- Specialist training and support for students wishing to compete in national or international academic challenges such as Mathex, Auckland Intermediate Schools, Art Exhibition, Kids Lit Quiz, Future Problem Solving and Otago Maths.
- Online courses and parent support is available with Brooke Trenwith, who is our School Gifted Education Advisor here.
- Click here to view our latest Gifted Education Presentation, along with our BIS Policy for Gifted Learners.
- Click here to view the NZCGE Quality Gifted Education information sheet.
- If you feel that your child displays elements of giftedness in their learning and would like to be considered for the gifted program at Belmont Intermediate School for 2023, please complete the following form by Friday, 1 September.